/ photographer: todd scott ballje /
Blog Links
Recent Posts // Archive Links on the Right Sidebar //Portfolio

3.23.2008

WPPI / Vegas...Part Deux

So, as I mentioned below, the best part of WPPI was definitely the hanging out and making friends. As a nice little bonus, the best creatives, innovative thinkers and great inspirers did all kinds of talks. And oh yeah, there was a little trade show with about 400 booths of the coolest new nerdy photographer stuff and gorgeous products for the wedding industry.
So, where to start?...
I think the most memorable times came from hearing Michael + Anna Costa and David Jay speak. All three of whom just so happen to live in la-la-land, Santa Barbara. In case you don't know, it is my dream to move there someday. From the few times that I have been there it seems like the perfect balance between laid back SoCal culture, gorgeous surroundings, but relatively small crowds and very cool, laid back, non-big shot attitudes. Maybe that is why the median home price is somewhere around $1.5M. (sorry, I think in reading these things, you know why I didn't become a writer!!)


An image I liked from my Santa Barbara trip 2007. (my grandparents live there so I hung out with them for a couple days on the way to...)


Pismo Beach just after the wedding I shot there. Taken just minutes apart in different directions.

Michael + Anna exemplified the balance of fresh original photography, a solid but simple business model, and a commitment to customer relationships that is very genuine, personal and wants what is best for their clients. In many interactions with people in all avenues of business, there are some who have a "watch out for me first" mentality. One that will do everything to protect your own interests, cut whatever corners you can for a greater profit and will sell you anything if you will buy it. (fortunately, there are many who don't subscribe to this also:) I have never been comfortable with that and tried to do the opposite. Since starting my business in 2000 in the media marketing industry, I have always believed that if you give someone the best possible product, do whatever you can to meet their needs and requests and only market the truth, it will always create a loyalty from your customers. Now, I will be the first to admit, I have made many mistakes in the attempt to do this and many times been slow to meet one person's needs while trying to help another. But this is the main point of emphasis for me right now and one that I really hope will be the biggest area of growth this year. Michael + Anna were great inspiration that this can not only be done but it really works for building a great business. Thanks!
On the last night of the conference, I went to hear David Jay & Jeff Jocum speak, Jeff gave some really practical and motivational ideas for making your business work by delegating more everyday tasks to be able to focus on what you do best and only you can do. Man, do I ever need to make that happen! :) ha! I really enjoyed D.J.'s talk but I can't pinpoint really what it was. It was just inspirational in the sense that he sparked me to think more intuitively or innovatively about what product and experience we can give to couples. To think way beyond just photography and albums to the whole experience we can give.

Why am I sharing all this? Hmm, I don't really know. I guess I want all my awesome clients who have trusted me to capture such an important time in their lives, (and all of you who are considering doing so) to know how much this work means to me and how passionate I am at developing an entire experience that is everything it can be. I am genuinely so honored to do something I love but more importantly, something that can both capture such great moments, and provide for many more as you enjoy the work for years to come.

Also, every few days, I find out another local photographer that checks this blog often. Some of the best people in this industry (both locally and nationally) have shared so much with me, I am so glad to be able to pass it on.

Ok, the trade show got bumped again. Next post. For all you fellow camera nerds with me, I do have some really cool news. Hint: It was cool to own the one piece of technology that I think had the most buzz of the whole show!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

wow, these are some breathtaking landscape images! if you aren't selling them you should be.

3/25/08, 1:11 PM  
Blogger Michael + Anna Costa said...

Hi Todd,
It was great meeting you in Vegas - thanks so much for your kind words! I am excited that you joined the forum!

xo,
Anna Costa

3/28/08, 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home