/ photographer: todd scott ballje /
Blog Links
Recent Posts // Archive Links on the Right Sidebar //Portfolio

3.12.2010

WPPI International Print Competition // Award of Excellence

I entered the WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International) Print Competition this year for the first time. It is fascinating to me to see the work and image captures of the worlds best photographers and also the worlds best and most interesting events. I mainly did it just to learn and gleen what I could from the judging process. It is great in a way because they have the highest standards for every angle of the print: technical photography (exposure, composition, post editing), creative (originality, interest and aesthetics) and not only that but also print and presentation quality (an entire art in itself). And it is all judged dispassionately so really good to hear comments like Simon would give them ;)

So there were 3500 + prints from I think 30+ countries. They judge for 2 days and then put prints that score high enough on display. Ill be honest, at first I thought, well geeze, these are all great, they should at least get the "Excellent" rating. But when I saw the standard of images that it took to get to that, I began to think, wow, maybe none of mine will make it. So, (full disclosure here) I walked quickly through the gallery the first time hoping at least one made it. Well it was exciting that I actually had two. They are the first two below. So thank you to Poonam and her mother for providing the soulfull, authentic moment for the first one. And to Rochelle for the beautiful and stylish moment for the second.

It was actually very satisfying that the two that scored the highest for me were artistic photojournalism. That is definitely my passion and what I feel I see the most when shooting.

Images shown as matted for the competition. (Credits below)

"Mixed Emotions" Award of Excellence Winner

Comment on this one: This was at the end of the third day of an Indian wedding that the couple was intensely involved in all the various ceremonies and events all day on all three. SOOO many moments and emotions. At the end there is what is called a "Crying Ceremony" in which (according to tradition) the brides family mourns the bride leaving home. In modern times, the bride either opts out or just entertains the tradition but with out the emotion maybe of years past. (we have skype now ya know). In this case, that happened but afterwards, the bride was really leaving Houston to be with her new husband in Detroit. (are the goosebumps coming yet?) So this is really her saying good bye to her mother and the real emotion began to flow. Tears and long hugs and a lot of "I love you's" followed along with more moments with the bride and her dad and even the groom and the bride's dad. That is why I love being there till the very end and never thinking that the 6327th photo is unimportant.

"Showtime" Award of Excellence Winner

"Fall Girl"

"Occupational Hazard"

"So Happy Together"

"Wedding Crashers"

"Let's Play 500"

"The Veil of the Soul"


Competition Printed by Red River Photo (Thanks Leighton)
Matted by Denton Framing on all 8-ply Museum RagMat in black or white

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger . said...

I get to intern for an accomplished award winner?! I'm not worty, I'm not worthy! Can't wait until April! Congrats, that is wonderful and well deserved!

3/12/10, 1:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats. Great job.

3/16/10, 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home